Monday, March 14, 2011

Kitchen Chairs With Wheels

Elvio Romero / Whenever I visit



Whenever I visit

Whenever someone visits me
(coming from there), I see their tracks
if still sizzling, if any rest of the summer
crossed borders or fence damaged by immobility
, watch their eyes glaze
the dry atmosphere, I investigate them
if there is fear or just the freshness of the dawn,
when someone visits me (over there)
try to penetrate every gesture, every gesture spanned
, I find
-looking sideways if it narrows sharply
hand, if they sing a serenade
very poor in my village, if the ditch
grows for flood
or for the dead, and suddenly forget
to find out too if I find out if
still burns my deep slumber
of the dry atmosphere, if I'm among the living or dead.

Elvio Romero (Yegros, 1926-Buenos Aires, 2004), "Exile and evening" (1962-1975), His best poems, Editorial El Lector, AsunciĆ³n, 1996

Photo: Elvio Romero s / d

0 comments:

Post a Comment